SGS Pegasus School is committed to providing an education of the highest quality for all its pupils and for pupils to benefit from this, attendance is key. Pupils who attend school regularly and punctually will be able to take full advantage of the educational opportunities available to them.
We will work with parent/carers to ensure all pupils achieve the maximum possible attendance and that if attendance rate falls, we will act as quickly as possible.
It is the expectation of the school that all pupils will achieve at least 96% attendance.
We consider attendance levels as follows:
- 100% = Excellent
- 96% - 99% = Very good
- 94% or 95% = Average (Monitoring Stage)
- 92% or 93% = Low (Stage 1)
- 90% or 91% = Very Low (Stage 2)
- 85% - 89% = Exceptionally Low (Stage 3)
- Under 85% = Persistent Absentee (Stage 4)
School doors open at 8.55am. The School day starts at 9.15am. Staff will start registration at 9.15am for the morning session and 1.15pm for the afternoon session.
If a pupil arrives after 9.15am (morning) or 1.15pm (if home for lunch), they will enter via the school office. Registration closes at 9.30am and 1.30pm. After these times, a pupil arrival is coded as “late”.
Parents should ring the school before 9.15am on the first day of absence informing the school of the reason for absence. Calls from parents regarding absence are logged by office staff.
If your child is absent and we have not received a phone call:-
- the office will ring parent/carers by 10.00am
- If there is no reply after 3 phone attempts, the next contact number/s will be rung
- If school can not speak to a family member to ascertain the reason for absence, we would consider this a safeguarding concern. In this instance a member of the senior leadership team would do a home visit on the day of absence. We would do this as a caring school concerned for the child
Requests for Leave of Absence during term time
Term times are for education. This is a priority. Children and families have 175 days off school to spend time together, including weekends and school holidays. At SGS Pegasus School we prioritise attendance. Absences will not be granted during term time and will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances. Exceptional is defined as exceptional’ are where requests are rare, significant, unavoidable and short.
Parents might be interested in this short presentation "What is good attendance"?